The National Museum Marinduque-Romblon is housed in an old Spanish building which used to be Escuela de Niños, the oldest Catholic school in Marinduque.

In 1856, the building was used as a carcel (prison) when the Casa Real was burned. In 1807, one of the rooms was used by Cuadrillos. It was further renovated as part of the Casa Real in 1891. The building was also used as a tribunal of the Spanish government and as Presidencia of the Philippine Revolution. It was the former office of the Department of Education-Division of Marinduque, and later by the Municipal Trial Court of Boac. It was also utilized as the Boac Municipal Library.

Through the effort of the late Representative Carmencita O. Reyes, the building and lot was turned over to the National Museum of the Philippines (NMP) in 1992 by the Municipality of Boac. The building was restored, and the museum was eventually opened to the public on February 22, 1995.

On October 1, 2015 to February 27, 2019, the museum was renovated and retrofitted. It was reopened to the public on February 28, 2019.

At present, three permanent exhibitions are featured in the museum: The Journey Towards the Protection of the Philippine Rise, Submerged History: The Marinduque Shipwrecks, and Moryonan Art and Devotion.


NM Marinduque-Romblon Area Museum
Malusak, Boac, Marinduque
Contact Nos. (042) 332 – 0507 / 09190779858
FB: NM Marinduque-Romblon Area Museum