The Padre Burgos Museum is one of the three historic buildings that is part of the NM Ilocos Regional Museum Complex (National Museum Ilocos). The museum is an ancestral house constructed in 1788, which was declared as a historical building owing to its association with the martyred priest, Fr. Jose Burgos (1837-1872), whose death along with two other priests sparked the anti-Spanish colonial resistance.
Built in 1788 by Juan Gonzales, a Spaniard from Asturias, Spain, this masonry and timber structure is known to have been later passed on to Florencia Garcia, the mother of Padre Jose Apolonio Burgos, who was born in Ilocos Sur in 1837. It is believed that Padre Burgos and his two sisters spent their childhood in this house.
The building is known to have housed the Post Office, the Ilocos Sur headquarters of the Philippine Constabulary, and the Philippine National Bank between the turn of the 19th century and the 1970s.
Owing to the significance of Burgos’ martyrdom along with Padre Mariano Gomez and Jacinto Zamora under Spanish colonial rule in 1872, the National Historical Commission of the Philippines installed a historical marker on the house’s façade in 1939. It was also declared as a historical building under Presidential Decree No. 756 in 1975.
The Padre Burgos Museum was first established as Ayala Museum-Vigan by the Filipinas Foundation of the Ayala Corporation in 1975. The museum and its collection, among which including the 14 paintings of the Basi Revolt by Esteban Villanueva, were donated to the Ilocos Historical and Cultural Foundation (IHCF) 12 years later. In 1989, the IHCF turned the museum and its contents over, on permanent loan, to the National Museum of the Philippines.
The Burgos Museum presently holds old furniture and other home furnishings representing an old lifestyle that were acquired by the Filipinas Foundation from around the Ilocos in the 1970s. The ground floor gallery is also dedicated to the Abel-Iloko exhibition, which will soon be upgraded after its installation in 2017.
NM Ilocos Region Museum Complex
Vigan City, Ilocos Sur 2700
Contact No.: 0917 504 8014
FB: NM Ilocos Regional Museum Complex
The NMP Ilocos Regional Museum Complex (IRMC) was established in January 2015 as the Old Carcel Provincial of Ilocos Sur was restored and converted into a museum and added to the facilities administered by the NMP in the Ilocos – the Padre Burgos Museum and the Magsingal Museum. All historic buildings, the Old Carcel and Burgos Museum are situated in the UNESCO World Heritage City of Vigan while the Magsingal Museum was originally a convent of the Church of San Guillermo de Aquitania, a National Cultural Treasure, in the town of Magsingal also in Ilocos Sur.
The Old Carcel started as a small town jail facility, Carcel de Vigan, in 1657, about eight decades after the Spaniards arrived in the Ilocos and 121 years before Vigan was made into the city Ciudad Fernandina by virtue of a Spanish Royal Decree in 1778. It served as provincial jail of Ilocos Sur from 1818 upon the division of the Provincia de Ylocos into Ilocos Norte and Ilocos Sur, until 2014 after it was donated by the Provincial Government of Ilocos Sur to the NMP.
On permanent exhibition at the Old Carcel is the National Cultural Treasure “The Basi Revolt” by Esteban Villanueva, a series of 14 paintings on the Basi Revolt of 1807 as well as ethnographic and selected botanical items consisting of the Cultural World of Basi exhibition. The upper part of the central section of the Carcel also houses memorabilia of the Sixth President of the Philippines, Elpidio Quirino, who was born in his warden-father’s apartment in 1890. Portraits of Quirino and his wife Alicia Jimenez Syquia, the most outstanding of which are those made by the National Artists Fernando Amorsolo and Guillermo Tolentino, are also featured in the gallery. Dedicated to changing exhibitions, the north wing of the Carcel presently holds renowned photographer Neal M. Oshima’s “Pagkaing Filipino: Images of Regional Cuisine, Dishes, Drinks, and Delicacies and their stories”.
The structure known as the Burgos Museum is an ancestral house constructed in 1788, which was declared as a historical building owing to its association with the martyred priest, Fr. Jose Burgos (1837-1872), whose death along with two other priests sparked the anti-Spanish colonial resistance. It features the Abel Iloko Exhibition that celebrates the unique textile craft of the region, as well as old furniture, representing a past lifestyle.
The Ilocos Regional Museum Complex is envisioned to be fully operational through the Burgos Museum’s restoration in 2020, as well as the reopening of the Magsingal Site Museum about 13 kilometers north of Vigan, and the offering of more educational programs and visitor-led activities that is consistent with the NMP’s masterplan.