Cultural Properties Regulation Division

NATIONAL MUSEUM TURNS OVER THE NEWLY RESTORED PARISH CHURCH OF SAN NICOLAS DE TOLENTINO IN DIMIAO, BOHOL

 

Mr. Angel P. Bautista, Acting Assistant Director, representing the National Museum turned over the newly restored Parish Church and Convent of San Nicolas de Tolentino to the Diocese of Tagbilaran in Dimiao, Bohol on September 1, 2018 in conjunction with the annual fiesta celebration of the town. The Parish Church Complex of San Nicolas de Tolentino is one of the church complexes that was damaged by the earthquake that hit the province on October 15, 2013. The damage in this church was minimal that included dislodgement of stone elements at the front fašade caused by the bulging of quoins at the right most canton of the church; and dismemberment of pillars at the leftmost part. This was declared a National Cultural Treasure on October 22, 2013.

 

The present magnificent church structure was built in ca. 1797 to 1815 during the three terms of Fray Enrique Garcia de Santo Tomas de Villanueva, O.A.R., as parish priest. Constructed of coralline limestone quarried from the mountains behind Poblacion, Dimiao, the church and the convent were surrounded with defensive wall of stones, watchtowers, and fortification. He also erected the townĺs Casa Tribunal and the Casa Real for guests. The church, being one of the impressive structures on the island due to its architectonic magnitude and engineering layout, is cruciform in plan with quadrangular pyramidal roof over the transept crossing.

 

The turnover ceremony was honoured by the presence of His Excellency Most Reverend Alberto S. Uy, D.D., Bishop of Tagbilaran, Former Bishop Most Reverend Leonadro Y. Medroso, D.D., Rev. Fr. Joemari P. Polo, Mayor Danilo Guivencan, Fr. Rev. Milad Ted Torralba, and Mr. Bautista. Bishop Uy was deeply grateful for the dedication and commitment of architects, engineers, historians and all cultural workers of the National Museum, as well as the assistance of the national government, cultural institutions, local communities and experts both locally and from around the world who helped in the establishment of the National Heritage Restoration and Reconstruction Program in the Visayas.

 

Witnessed by more than 250 individuals from the different sectors of the community, the turnover ceremony was followed by the unveiling of the National Cultural Treasure Marker by Bishop Uy, Former Bishop Medroso, Fr. Pono, Mayor Guivencan and Mr. Bautista; and the Eucharistic Celebration which was held in the church for the first time after 5 year closure.

 

The newly restored Parish Church of San Nicolas de Tolentino in Dimiao, Bohol

 

Signing of Turnover Certificates

 

Unveiling of National Cultural Treasure Marker

 

This page was last modified Tuesday, November 6, 2018
National Museum of the Philippines
Padre Burgos Drive, City of Manila, Philippines